Sunday, September 13, 2009

Can I have a mulligan?

Ok, I shanked one into the weeds and need a do-over.
I had forgotten that the points would be reset after the BMW Championship with anyone in the Top 30 still having a mathematical chance to claim the FedEx Cup on Sunday when The Tour Championship concludes.
I'll take my medicine on that one and write down a double-bogey.
One player happy with that format is Steve Stricker, who would have needed to win The Tour Championship to have any chance to overtake Tiger Woods after Tiger's impressive performance at the BMW Championship this week. Without the reset, Tiger would have gone into the event with a nearly insurmountable lead over second-place Stricker.
Instead, Stricker only trails by 250 points and has a few other scenarios that can unfold this week and still allow him to collect the coveted Cup.
Of course, if Woods keeps rolling along like he did in Chicago, the only hope Stricker has will be to finish Sunday on top of the leaderboard at Atlanta.
So while Stricker brushes up on his tournament-winning skills I'll be hitting the books. I think I'll start with "FedEx Cup playoff format for Dummies."

No comments:

Post a Comment